Do you like to make lists? I’m married to a list maker and we seem to have given birth to a list maker too. One of the reasons you can tell we are all about to head off on holiday isn’t just the weary posture and the overexcited faces, it’s the lists.
Lists of what to do before we go, lists of what to pack, lists of extra equipment that we’ll take if we have enough room, lists of what we need to buy when we arrive, lists of activities to do on our holiday.
I have my own lists. A road trip playlist, holiday packing list for shoes, clothes and accessories, and a holiday beauty packing list. You know, it’s the important things!
Beauty Packing List
You can see that I’ve broken my list down into sections. I prefer to pack the sections into smaller individual pouches or bags. When I’m travelling on longer holidays, I pack my larger makeup case with lots of different sections.
The reason for the separate smaller bags is that I can pop them where they need to be when I’m unpacking and don’t need to drag a big bag that often needs unpacking to find one thing. Plus, so much easier to pop them into little gaps in your suitcase!
I can’t pack my own makeup artist, but I can refer to my Makeup Utopia Express Beauty ebook – giving me step by step guides for 5, 10 or 15 minute makeup looks. After all, I don’t leave home without my iPhone!
Beauty Packing List – skincare
My essential skincare packing list for a holiday. The daily basics with some double duty products, plus a few luxe extras. Holidays are all about relaxing and it is the perfect time to treat yourself to some me time and a facial masque.
- Skin cleanser – for the shower or for double cleansing
- Micellar water – for quick easy cleansing. Even if you don’t wear makeup, you still need to cleanse the day’s sunscreen and grime
- Cotton pads – use with the micellar water, for an emergency powder puff, or for cleaning up nail polish
- Rosehip oil – doubles as an emergency eye makeup remover, skin serum, cuticle oil, after sun care, hair oil …
- SPF moisturiser – goes without saying that you need daily SPF protection, even in the winter. Especially if you’re beachside. Even if you’ve used foundation with SPF, you will still need extra SPF protection and to reapply during the day.
- Night moisturiser, serum, eye cream – these products work most effectively when we’re sleeping and holidays often mean more sleep!
- Face masque – kick back during a down period in your day and treat your skin to a face masque. Doesn’t take long at all and essential if you’ve been in an airplane or more air conditioning than you are used to.
- Lip balm – to protect your pout at night and poolside
Beauty Packing List – hair styling
My essential hair styling packing list for a holiday, to take you from poolside to high end restaurant. Holidays are the perfect time to give the heat styling a holiday too, and try something like air dried curls.
- Styling creme / hair serum / hair oil / hairspray – mini containers of your styling products. Everyone wants to look nice on holiday.
- Dry shampoo – so you can eke another day out of your hair without having to wash it. Beach hair rocks!
- Hairbrush and hair accessories – hair accessories like a pretty clip or a wired scarf tie, but also essentials like bobby pins, hair elastics etc
Beauty Packing List – bath & body
My bath and body essentials for holiday travel to keep yourself nice and clean, your body groomed and your skin hydrated and glowing
- Shower gel / soap – unless you’re staying somewhere super luxe with high end products, best to take your own. Make your shower gel do double duty by using it as bubble bath
- Razor and blades – for quick daily grooming
- Shampoo and conditioner – eventually, even with dry shampoo, you’re going to have to wash your hair
- Hair masque – now is the time to treat yourself. Make a family adventure out of it by giving everyone a facial masque and hair masque at the same time!
- Body scrub and body mitt – to keep your skin looking in tip top condition. Handy for emergency foot care too, especially if coming from cold weather to a tropical destination
- Body oil / moisturiser – whatever floats your boat to keep your skin hydrated and lush. I layer both on my skin. The moisturiser can double as hand cream.
- Sunscreen – goes without saying. An absolute daily essential
- Bug spray – perhaps not an essential but often a good idea dependent on your destination
- Tissues / baby wipes – I always pop a little packet of both into my hand luggage / day bag, and like to have spares
Beauty Packing List – makeup
Packing a BB Cream means I can wear makeup when I’m protecting my skin when I’m poolside. You don’t have to wear makeup when you’re on holiday, and I certainly dial it back, but I like to have options. My essential makeup packing list for travel gives me enough options to go fresh faced for a natural day makeup look or glam it up for an evening out!
- BB Cream / Foundation – I tend to pack a light formulation that is sweat resistant and contains a high SPF
- Concealer – to touch up the little bits and pieces.
- Setting powder / mineral powder – just to add a bit of staying powder. Mineral powder can be added at night for a more made up look, or wear in place of foundation during the day.
- Highlighter / luminiser – I will not leave home without a touch of highlighter, so I have to pack it. It takes seconds to brush a little on my upper contours but makes the world of difference.
- Bronzer – Another few seconds and your daily makeup goes from meh to yeah! Great for adding a touch of evening glamour. I pack a palette with a setting powder, highlighter and light bronzer in one, plus my gel bronzer.
- Blush – a cream blush is ideal for travelling as it is more durable. I pack a pinky coral as it goes with everything and gives a naturally pretty look.
- Lipgloss / lipstick – I’m a light packer when it comes to lip products. I pack a lip balm to leave beside my bed and one for my bag, plus I pack a tinted lip gloss for day and a pinky coral lipstick for nights out.
- Eyeshadow palette – not essential for all holidays but I like to pack one. I use a liner brush with the shadows instead of packing pencils. A good neutral palette with a pop of colour is what I usually pack. The mini eyeshadow palettes that you get with high end cosmetic brand gifts with purchase are great for holiday makeup packing too.
- Mascara – I always get my lashes tinted before I go on holiday but this girl likes to pack a mascara too
- Brow products – getting my brows threaded and tinted before I go on holiday helps but I still like a little extra brow grooming
- Tools – foundation / concealer brush, powder brush, blush brush, contour brush (or just pack one multi brush like the BECCA The One Perfecting brush), lash curler. Plus extras like tweezers and a mini magnified travel mirror.
Beauty Packing List – nail kit
One of the things I most love about going on holiday is the time. Time to sleep in, time to take long baths, time to hang out with my Blokefolk, and time to do things like give myself a daily mani-pedi if I so wish! This is my essential mini nail kit. Must be packed in your checked in luggage if you’re flying!
- Glass file – Christina from Hair Romance got me onto glass nail files and I’m so grateful. I have a mini one in its own case, just perfect for travel.
- Nail grooming tools – I pack a double ended cuticle pusher and nail cleaner, plus a mini fine brush that I can dip into nail polish remover for cleanups
- Base coat and top coat – essential step 1 and 3 in a nail routine
- Lacquer – I pack 2-3 coordinating colours to give me options. If I’ve had time to get my nails done before I leave, I take the coordinating colour with me for easy peasy lemon squeezy touchups. To ensure a perfect match, I take my own lacquer to the salon. I also think it is more hygienic.
- Cuticle creme – doubles as hand creme and keeps your nails in tippity top condition
- Nail polish remover pot – a screw on lidded container with a sponge and polish remover to dip your fingertips in to remove colour easily. Dip the fine brush into the pot for quick cleanups.
There are so many things to worry about when going on holiday. Now packing your beauty essentials for your next trip won’t be something you have to worry about!
I’m linking with the 30+ Style & Beauty Link Up Party, hosted by that fabulous babe, Rachel from Redcliffe Style.