I’m super duper excited to be working with Business Mamas as part of their blog ambassador team.
Last month, I shared the story of this amazing experience, the business that I’ll be launching, and my first steps.
Now, I want to give you a little sneak peek into the course work I’ve completed so far. Plus I’d like to pass on some of my tips that makes studying online at home easier.
The first module of Business Mamas Diploma of Business training course is all about discovering who I am, what I want to achieve, how I like to learn, my personality type, and how these discoveries all come together to make the perfect match learning environment for me.
Have you ever completed a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? It’s a personality test designed to work out what one of 16 personality types you are by analysing two mental functions – the rational and the irrational functions.
I first completed one 20 years ago. I was interested to see if I had a different result with 20 years of life experience under my belt. Had motherhood made differences to my personality type, as well as my body?!
Nope! Pleased to report that I’m still exactly the same as I was 20 years ago. Well, my Myers-Brigg result is the same anyway. I’m an ENTJ.
One of the things I’ve had to adjust to since commencing the Business Mamas course is, well, how to study!
It’s been a long time since 1998, when I last completed formal study. Marketing certificate at TAFE – I used to rush home to watch the X Files, which just demonstrates exactly how long ago that was!
Luckily, my years of experience as an Executive Assistant developed my organisational skills. Being a wife and mother has honed them! Working from home has given me the ability to prioritise and schedule time for the various duties and jobs that are my responsibility. Again, motherhood has certainly helped me here!
Business Mamas | online study tips
- analyse your learning style – working out how I like to work helped me know that I need structure
- set aside small blocks of time – as a working mother, it is easier to carve out small sections of time – 30 minutes here, an hour or so there, than to set aside one whole day per week, for example.
- add study time to your diary – schedule in your study time just like you’d schedule a doctor’s appointment or after school activities. If it’s in the diary and on the list, you’re telling yourself that you’re important and deserve time to study
- turn off distractions – switch off the television, shut down Facebook, turn off notifications on your phone. Now is not the time to update anything except your mind!
- fast internet – not only an essential for Netflix but working with the best wi fi you can get your hands on helps to eliminate frustrations and waiting time.
- dated notes in a notebook – jotting down notes is a great way to refresh your memory and refer back to. Using a notebook keeps all your notes handily together. Popping the date at the beginning of each fresh batch of notes helps keep track of them.
- set up an online folder – file any downloaded documents or information in an individual folder in your file directory. Set up an email folder to store relevant emails.
- create study space – you need to set aside a little bit of study space, just for you. Perhaps it might be a corner of the kitchen table or your own study. Either way, make the space your own. Before I had my desk set up for blogging, I had a folding laptop table and an office-in-a-box. When I finished blogging for the day, I’d pop everything back into my pretty cardboard box and pop it back on the bookshelf.
- ask for help – set up a network to help you. For me, this is my Business Mamas mentor, my stylist mentor and my blogging mentor; friends whom I swap kid supervision with (so we can all get stuff done!); and the Welshman to bounce ideas off.
- believe in yourself – possibly the most important tip of all! I love the ongoing support from Business Mamas which helps me to live happy, work happy and be happy!
Business Mamas is an accredited online business school designed to help you launch your new business. Whether it be launching a micro business for extra cash or starting the next big business sensation, it’s all about you and your goals!