The most ubiquitous clothing item – worn by everyone from babies to grannies – has to be a pair of denim jeans.
I guarantee everyone has denim in their wardrobe. I have everything from jeans to dresses and everything in between, including hair accessories, bags and shoes.
I’m sharing some denim life hacks to rock your jeans!
One of the most common problems with jeans is the the gaping waist. They fit perfectly everywhere except in the back of the waist.
You can get them altered – but I’ve had a fair few pairs ruined over the years.
Try this super easy lemon squeezy almost no-sew trick to take in your jeans (or shorts or pants)
- Measure and mark either side of the centre back of the waistband about 18 cm apart
- Carefully cut through the top layer of the inside back waistband
- Cut about 13 cm of elastic and attach a safety pin to one end
- Sew one end down and thread the other through before sewing down the other end.
- If you really can’t even thread a needle for some tacking, then just use the safety pins!
Denim Life Hacks | salty
Want to keep your super dark overdyed denim super dark? Chuck a tablespoon of salt into the washing machine to set the dye.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Denim Life Hacks | the colour and the shape
Whether you spend a teensy amount or a tonne of moolah on your jeans, treat them well and they’ll treat you well. I’m not a fan of the “freeze” method of cleaning your jeans – give me a good wash anyway.
But if you wash them properly and look after them, they won’t stretch out and lose their shape straightaway.
- Wear them as long as you can before washing
- Turn them inside out and do up the buttons and zippers
- Cold water wash
- Gentle laundry liquid (like Wool Wash or Softly)
- No fabric softener – it will ruin the elastane in your denim
- Reduced spin cycle
- Drip dry – hang by the waistband with a trouser hanger