Now, I get my Barbie fix by creating styled outfits. I love to use Polyvore to create style boards online. My latest obsession is the flat lay.
What exactly is a flat lay? Exactly as it sounds. Simply lay out an outfit in a pleasing design on a flat surface and snap a photograph to share on socialite media.
How to Flat Lay | Four Easy Steps
- You need to create a plain, light coloured background.
- You can try your carpet or floorboards.
- Alternatively, lay a sheet or blanket on a flat surface like the floor, a dining table or bed.
- I use my king sized bed with vintage white cotton blanket.
Create a Box
- Make a square shape when laying out the outfit.
- Create edges with the placement of the pieces.
- Fill in gaps with accessories.
- It’s all about proportion.
- Lay a top flat.
- Fold a pair of pants in half lengthwise and bend at the knee.
- Fold a jacket in half and layer over the top.
- Layer accessories and jewellery on the clothes.
- This will help define the different pieces and pull them together simultaneously.
- Keep playing and moving different pieces about the square you’ve created.
- Keep snapping pictures.
- Not only might you prefer an earlier edit when you’re reviewing the images later, but you could also create an awesome outfit Flipagram.
How to Flat Lay | Examples
- The vintage white cotton blanket on my bed. Sometimes I stand on my bed to get an eagle eye view.
Create a Box
- The jeans and shirt create the main square shape.
- The berry pink tones of the bra, glasses and shoe coordinate.
- The jeans are folded for the right proportions.
- I moved the beauty products onto the white shirt to define it against the white bedspread.
- Moving all the accessories between the jeans and the shirt worked better for this flat lay.
- Rules are made to be broken. This is just a guideline to get you started.
- Try flat lays for beauty products used for Face of the Day images.
- Create a recipe flat lay with a cookbook, utensils, bowls, food etc.
How to Flat Lay | The How Not To Flat Lay example
- The background is too dark so the details are lost.
Create a Box
- Three boxes and I’ve created an arch. Hmmm.
- Epic fail.
- The nail polish bottles coordinate
- The rest is a hot mess!
- Just keep trying!
Flat lays have had an unexpected benefit – my bed gets made every day! How good is that?
Flat lays are also a great way to participate in Everyday Style with Styling You if you’re not comfortable sharing images of yourself. Are you a flat lay fan?
Wardrobe Wednesday | Join the Glam Squad
Welcome to Wardrobe Wednesday! I’m delighted to be your Glam Squad Hostess with the Mostest. Every Wednesday, you are invited to share a fashion post with the Wardrobe Wednesday Glam Squad. Anything you like as long as it is fashion related.
To join in, just follow the linky instructions below and link up a fashion post. You can grab the button code here or on my sidebar, to add to your post or blog roll.
I would love it if you would be so kind as to share Wardrobe Wednesday with fellow fashionistas and invite them to be part of the Kimba Likes Wardrobe Wednesday Glam Squad! Some comment love for other Glam Squad members would be much appreciated.
In return, I will share your posts via my social media network, comment on every post and add an image to the Kimba Likes Wardrobe Wednesday Pinterest board. Let me know if you’d like an invitation to pin to the board.
Wardrobe Wednesday | Linky Party
[inlinkz_linkup id=386201 mode=1]