I’m absolutely loving the cross over between Autumn and Winter. The weather is cool enough to layer, but warm enough that you don’t have to have more layers than a Sara Lee Danish.
I’m sharing some tips on how to layer short sleeve knits. You can read more about this at Sonia Styling, who has all you need to know on how to wear sleeveless clothes in winter.
How to layer short sleeve knits | chunky roll neck
The last thing I usually would ever wear would be a roll neck. If you’re
cursed blessed with EnormoBoobs like me, you know that we don’t want to add any extra bulk nor draw any attention to the boobage.
But there’s something just so snuggly and cosy about a turtleneck in winter, don’t you think? I decided to give it a go and work a little Kimba Likes twist to wearing a chunky roll neck.
My chunky roll neck knit is from Shabby Sisters. I am wearing the M/L. There’s enough room for my boobage, but because it’s not too oversized and loose, it looks more streamlined.
I gently pulled at the roll neck for a more relaxed cowl effect. This has the effect of showing more skin. If the roll neck came right up, it would look like my boobs started at my chin. Not a good look.
The knitted effects also help to streamline my look. The contrasting centre line lengthens my torso and the curved bust detail breaks up the pattern.
My best trick for making this look work is to streamline the bottom layer. I’ve layered a fine gauge cashmere knit under the chunky roll neck. The contrast of the black and pale grey makes the roll neck knit stand out. By choosing a patterned pant with a pale print on a dark background, it ties in well with the pale grey knit. By dialling down the contrast and creating a tonal colour palette, it makes for a more streamlined look. This has a lengthening effect. I need all the help I can get!
Sonia Styling quoted my Instagram style tip in her How to Wear Sleeveless Clothes in Winter post
“Not sure about wearing a bulky piece when you’re a bit, ahem, bulky? Layer it over fine gauge fitted pieces, keep the colour palette tonal and, most importantly, add a smile and own it!“
Shop My Style
- Ginger & Smart cashmere top | shop similar | Portmans Sheer Wool Sally Splice Top $69.95 | click to shop
- Shabby Sisters Grey Sleeveless Roll Neck Knit $45 | exact match | click to shop (also available in Black and Cream)
- Kelly & Port Poppy Pant* $149 | exact match | click to shop
- Country Road chelsea boots | shop similar | Django & Juliette Global Black $169.95 | click to shop
How to layer short sleeve knits | tough pretty
To create a tough pretty look, mix up your textures, colours and patterns. My example here is layering a merino tunic with lace detail over a plaid shirt.
My Bohemian Traders plaid shirt has the sweetest Peter Pan collar. The Tea & Toast merino & lace tunic is a couple of years old from Glassons. Layering it over the shirt gives me a tough pretty look by mixing style genres of girly lace with masculine plaid.
My gorgeous necklace was a gift from White Tiger Designs. Could it be a better match for this outfit or what? The Welshman isn’t a huge fan of my crochet loose beret – but it can’t be beaten for warmth and disguising dirty hair!
Shop My Style
- Bohemian Traders Plaid Shirt | shop similar | Boohoo Carly Large Check Oversized Shirt $30 | click to shop
- Tea & Toast Lace and Merino Tunic | shop similar | Grace Hill Lace Sleeve Cowl Neck Top $25 (was $99.95) | click to shop
- Forever New Mustard Beanie | shop similar | Milana Knitted Beanie with Metal Skull Embellishments $59.95 | click to shop
- White Tiger Designs Esme necklace* | click to shop
How to layer short sleeve knits | blouson knit
I could never just quite figure out how to wear this Country Road knit during the warmer months. It just felt too heavy. Solution? Layer it over a chambray shirt in the autumn, heading into winter.
I’ve created a slight blouson effect by pulling up the waistband a little. This gives me slightly more shape in a relatively shapeless piece, and creates more length in the base layer chambray shirt.
By adding purple toned accessories, I’ve created a coordinated outfit that references my Katies Berry Super Shaper denim, without being too matchy matchy.
A statement necklace worn over a buttoned up shirt adds a quirky touch and makes a utilitarian chambray shirt into a feminine piece. Anchoring the look with a pair of studded moto boots adds that tough pretty style I adore.
Shop My Style
- Mix Apparel Relaxed Chambray Shirt $25 | exact match | click to shop
- Country Road short sleeve knit | shop similar | Boohoo Charlie Crochet Knit Camel Vest $24 | click to shop
- Ella Grace necklace from Anna Nova Australia*
- Each to Own drop earrings | click to shop
- Honeydew & Violet Organic Halo Bangle $240* | exact match | click to shop
- Katies Super Shaper jeans in Berry $50 | exact match | click to shop
- Emerson for Big W moto boots | shop similar | Therapy Abbey Black $59.95 | click to shop
Want more Kimba Likes?
this post contains some affiliate links – won’t cost you a penny more but I earn a small commission to help keep me in herbal tea