After 31 dresses in 31 days for Frocktober, I’ve never been so excited about wearing a pair of shorts in my life. I love Frocktober. I really do. I love raising funds and awareness for such an excellent cause as the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. You can click here to donate, if you’d like – I’d be truly grateful! I really love frocks. I do. I adore them. But man, a pair of comfy denim cutoff shorts after a month of frocks cannot be underestimated!
I teamed my Gap shorts with my Bohemian Traders Fossil shell top, FCUK leather belt, Payless Shoes sandals, and an orange Mimco barrel bag. Click here for my tips on how to wear short shorts (but not denim underpants – hell has not yet frozen over).
On the weekend, I popped down to my favourite local cafe, Penny Lane Rozelle, to hang out with my old friend, Kylie from Shabby Sisters. My old friend whom I’ve never actually met before. Socialite media is a weird old thing, especially for those who don’t hang out on it!
She was just as gorgeous as I had imagined, albeit taller! She did a fine job as a courier, bringing me my order of the gorgeous Not For The Meek statement earrings. Aren’t they gorgeous? The girl has taste.
Check out my picks from the gorgeous Shabby Sisters new season collection.
- Not For The Meek statement earrings $28 – over the top gorgeousness and perfect for Christmas party season
- Bohemian Cuff Bracelet $25 – run don’t walk to grab this one stop shop arm party
- Sunny Girl Printed Jumpsuit $49 – wear it on the shoulder, off the shoulder or one shouldered. Dress up or down. Love a versatile piece!
- Silver Slithers earrings $22 – architecturally awesome earrings for some everyday style daily glam
- Sunny Girl Rose Print Midi Skirt $55 – the skirt length of the season, featuring an embossed retro cute rose print. Oh So Gorgeous!
- Boho Australia Aztec Maxi $59 – a gorgeously riotous print with a sexy split sleeve and deep V neck
The following day, I wanted to wear denim cutoff shorts again. So I made my own! I probably should have Googled “how to make your own denim cutoff shorts”, but I decided to wing it.
I had thrifted a fabulous pair of Karen Walker boyfriend jeans for the princely sum of $5, but they had been previously customised and were just a wee bit short for me. I couldn’t bear to pass them on though – the darling wee Runaway Girl button alone was enough for me to keep them.
How to make your own denim cutoff shorts
I had wanted to customise the not quite right Karen Walker jeans into denim cutoff shorts but was a little nervous. Once cut, there was no going back!
- I tried them on and estimated the correct length. I double checked the length by measuring them against my Gap shorts, then added a little extra to allow for a cuff. I marked the length with a pin.
- I folded the jeans lengthwise, making sure all the seams were perfectly aligned. This is very important to make sure the cut will be straight.
- Using a proper pair of fabric scissors, used only on fabric (I hide them to make sure!), I carefully held the fabric taut and smooth and cut through both legs at once. As long as the seams are aligned properly, this is the best way to make sure both legs are even.
- The final step is to try on the denim cutoff shorts and judge if you need any adjustments. Repeat steps 2-3 if you’d like to shorten them further.
I decided to cuff them. I folded the hem about two and half inches, or a bit over six centimetres, then folded once more to create a cuff. To stiffen the cuff and make them stay up, you could add some iron on hemming tape in between each fold.
Here we have it – the denim cutoff shorts formerly known as a pair of jeans. Super happy with them! I’m wearing them with the Katies Shoulder Zip tee that Rachel from Redcliffe Style and I are rocking this month for Style it Project – join us!
I’m going to make another pair too – an oversized frayed pair. Just as soon as I find the perfect pair of oversized men’s jeans at my local thrift shops. Well, not too perfect. I need to be able to cut them up without regret!
Have you made your own denim cutoff shorts before? Did it go well? Any tricks I’ve missed here?
- Bohemian Traders affiliate link – it won’t cost you any more but I may earn a small commission. Thank you!