I’ve been lucky enough to have received many compliments recently about my brows. All those #lippyaday and #foxinflatstyledare selfies all over Instagram have resulted in requests on how to style a bold brow. After years of very hard work in growing them back after overplucking and overly keen beauticians, I have succeeded in getting my brows to resemble those of one of my style icons, Dame Elizabeth Taylor. Finally!
My brows and I have had a long and chequered history. I didn’t touch them at all until I was 21 when a friend who had done a beautician course (and obviously secretly hated me), ruined them, leaving me with wonky brows, featuring an uneven gap between my eyes, the arch in completely the wrong place and far too thin. Dear gods, I shudder to think of it even now.
I found a beautician who helped groom them so they were vaguely even – but it was the 90s so thin and arched was the order of the day. I retained that brow look until well into the noughties – albeit slightly thicker and less arched – when my fascination with retro cute vintage looks took a firm grip. I decided to grow back my brows, and spent quite a lot of time researching “the perfect brow”. Rae Morris’ Makeup : The Ultimate Guide and Kevyn Aucoin’s Making Faces books were invaluable. Later on, Zoe Foster’s Amazing Face was extremely helpful too. Around this time, I took the leap into using brow products. I used to think they were for little old ladies with three hairs for eyebrows!
Considerable time and effort was expended in growing my brows back – I was lusting after the full and luscious brows of Elizabeth Taylor. Unfortunately, many months of hard work were destroyed on numerous occasions by over zealous beauticians who kept waxing off the fullness at the front of my brows. Yup, the very bit that took my brows from the 90s to the 50s!
I was unable to put my trust in beauticians for years, and resorted to grooming my own brows. I had an unfortunate threading experience last year which left me with lovely brows but bruised skin. Not ideal, I think you’ll agree.
Driving up and down Darling Street in Rozelle, I kept noticing the enticing words “brow studio”. I complimented one of my Gorgeous Girls on her beautifully groomed brows, and she told me about HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio.
HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio is the brainchild of Marli, a fabulous beautician with over 10 years of experience. It is located in Darling Street, Rozelle, with lots of on street parking. If you’re heading over to the weekend Rozelle Markets, think smart and book yourself in at HoneyTusk. Beauty and thrift market shopping – what a great day out!
If you need the perfect solution to your eyebrow woes, you need to hotfoot it to HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio to get transformed and maintained by the wonderful Marli, a true artiste of the brow!
Finally, I plucked up my courage and booked an appointment with Marli at HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio. One of the first things I noticed, which filled me with confidence, was her own beautiful brows. Just like a colourist with very bad roots or a makeup artist with Agent Orange skin should fill even the bravest soul with trepidation, it is advisable to check your brow artist’s brows before letting them loose on yours!
The HoneyTusk experience was fabulous. The delightful little space is quirky with vintage chairs, lovely decor and that wonderful thing so infrequently experienced in beauty spas and salons – non-whale, tinkly twinkly music. Oh, the relief! I don’t know about you, but it always puts me on edge rather than relaxing me.
The music is just one of the many things that HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio have got right. It is a soothing and safe environment, where each client feels preciously pampered and looked after.
Marli welcomed me and took the time to talk to me in front of a mirror with natural light, discussing what I wanted from my brows. She took the time to listen to me – it is amazing how many beauticians don’t consider this a valued part of their consultation!
I had my brows groomed using a combination of plucking and precision waxing, with Marli frequently stopping to step back and view the overall brow before removing any further hairs. I also had my lashes tinted, and enjoyed a delightful hand massage whilst this took place.
Despite all that hard work in growing my brows back, I am left with gaps which I fear shall never grow back, so I’ve been using a variety of brow brushes, powders, pencils, waxes, mascaras, palettes … you name it, I’ve used it.
Marli assured me that if I’m able to leave my brows alone and commit to regular appointments, she will be able to make a huge difference. The one hair that I might pluck at home might be the exact hair that will change the shape of my brow.
I was also given a lesson on how to make up my brows – the grooming is important but only part of the equation. Her tips for me involved ignoring the usual “perfect brow diagram” that features in so many beauty guides. Not everyone has the same shaped face, and there are other factors to take into consideration such as how widely spaced the eyes are, how deeply set the eyes are and the size and shape of the nose, cheeks, forehead etc. Controversial!
Marli advised that I should:
- Brush my brows into shape using a spooly brush
- Start by pencilling my brows at the narrowest end, closest to my ears, to extend the line of the brow
- Use the brow pencil to draw a line at the base of the fullest front part of the lash
- Fill in the brow with a colour matched brow powder and a short stiff-bristled brush, blending the brow pencil line upwards. Darker is better than too light.
- Set the brow with a clear brow mascara
- DO NOT TOUCH THE BROW LINE BETWEEN VISITS!
You know you need some more Marli magic. Check out these tips:
- Always get your eyebrows shaped at least once professionally. This will give you the idea of what they should look like and will help you to maintain them until your next visit.
- The quest for perfectly symmetrical brows will be forever challenging one. Our brows will never be identical, so don’t attempt to get them exactly the same; otherwise you will end up overplucking them. They say that our brows are sisters not twins.
- Good quality tools and equipment are vital to achieve a professional finish, so make sure you always have on hand a great set of tweezers and a good quality eyebrow brush. If you drop your tweezers they can become unusable, so make sure to take care of them.
- Do not try to tweeze your brows if the shape has grown out. Maintenance tweezing is ok to do between treatments but you should stay away from the line. If the shape has grown out, leave it to the expert for your next visit.
- Always use an aftercare product that help reduce redness and irritation. Only apply makeup if it is of high quality and non-comedogenic. This will help avoid breakouts in the area.
- When tweezing your own brows always try and sit in front of a large mirror with natural sunlight. This will allow you to pick up the light hairs that are often hard to see.
- Think twice before trimming your eyebrows. Trimming the brow is not recommended on all face shapes. Remember that a trimmed brow LOOKS like a trimmed brow.
Check out my (completely ungroomed) before and after shots. What a difference!
HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio are aware that a beautiful brow is only part of the beauty maintenance process, and offer a carefully selected menu of complementary services to complete your beauty regime. One of the services they offer is a Lash Lift, the latest advance in eyelash perming. I’m trying it out soon, and am beyond myself with excitement. Be assured I’ll report back and let you know all about it. Click here to like HoneyTusk Eyebrow Studio on Facebook for your chance to win a Lash Lift!
Kimba Likes Keeping it Real Policy:
In the interests of keeping it real, you can check out my Kimba Likes Keeping it Real Policy here. When I booked my appointment, I asked permission to take photographs to feature in a blog post. Marli very kindly offered to gift me a Signature Eyebrow Sculpt and Lash Tint. However, I was under no obligation to publish this post. I have chosen to do so because I was simply blown away by the fabulous service and environment and the gorgeous Marli herself. I was so happy with the service that I purchased the products Marli recommended and have booked follow up appointments. You can trust Kimba Likes to keep it real.