how to stay warm in style
Ooh, hasn’t it got cold! Whilst I do adore winter style, I also like staying warm.
I’m sharing some of my tips and tricks on how to stay warm in style this winter.
how to stay warm in style
fleece lined opaque tights
For the office, opaque tights are a great option to add warmth to your daily outfit. But even the highest denier tights aren’t very warm.
The solution is fleece lined opaque tights!
- Plush Fleece Lined Tights from Shopbop $49 | click to shop
- Ambra Fleece Lined Tights from Myer $14 on sale | click to shop
If you work in an office, you might suffer from “sexist air conditioning“. Yes, it’s a thing. Men don’t seem to feel the cold as much as women do, so the office air conditioning often feels too cold for many women.
When I worked in an office, my hands were always freezing. My solution was fingerless mittens. They’re easier to wear than fingerless gloves which tend to constrict the fingers, mean you can still operate a touch screen, and are easy to remove your thumb and push up like sleeves when you need full hand access.
I have a few pairs – a pair from Mimco a few years ago, an Alannah Hill crocheted pair and some from a local boutique. I would suggest Etsy, if you’re after a pair. You can find handmade and vintage items. If you’re way cleverer than me, you can even buy a downloadable pattern from Etsy and make your own!
- fingerless mittens from Etsy | click to shop
- Gorman fingerless gloves $39.20 on sale | click to shop
layers on top
You have to be a layer player to stay warm in style!
- start with a base layer of shapewear like Bella Bodies Camyz to smooth and keep you warm at the same time
- layer a tank under a shirt under a knit
- wear a sleeveless knit over a long sleeve top and under a cardigan
- layer a cropped jumper over a long sleeve tunic
- wear a bodycon dress under a shirt dress for smoothing warmth
- hide layers underneath, or make them a feature by mixing and matching knitwear
- layer luxe textures like cashmere and merino for warmth without bulkiness
- stay extra warm by adding thermal fabrics to your base layer
Bella Body Camyz Scoop Neck $39.99 twin pack | click to shop
layers down low
- wear tights underneath your jeans
- add some extra personality to your distressed jeans by wearing coloured tights underneath
- layer thermal underwear leggings under pants
- team leggings with a dress
- wear your summer anti-chafing shorts under your drop crotch pants in winter for extra warmth
- Thigh Society anti-chafing shorts USD$34 | click to shop
- Tightology tights from $20 – patterns, prints, colours! | click to shop
- wear a light coat instead of a jacket inside
- buy your winter coat a size bigger so you can layer it over your inside coat when you venture outside
- bomber jackets are so hot right now – wear them instead of a cardigan for extra warmth
- denim jackets are another cardigan alternative – layer them for casual chic under trench coats and winter coats
Lucy Denim bomber jacket from Boohoo $50 | click to shop
scarf to cover layers on neck
- Layering long sleeve T shirts under knits can lead to neckline awkwardness. Solve this by wrapping a scarf to stay warm and disguise the layered necklines
- Plus if you make that scarf a snood, you can join in Style it Project July. Now that’s how to stay warm in style!
Crossroads striped snood $19.95 | click to shop
off the shoulder knits
- still loving off the shoulder this winter but worried about being a bit chilly? The trick is off the shoulder knits.
- layer your off the shoulder knit jumper or dress over a fitted top, like the Bella Bodies Camyz top. Get the look but stay warm!
- off the shoulder knits can be worn cowl neck style for extra versatility
Shabby Sisters Off the Shoulder knit $59 | click to shop
- switch out your opaque leggings for a pair of exercise leggings
- they’ll keep you warm plus have the added benefit of smoothing
- wear them under sweater dresses, skirts, dresses, tunic tops …
Bella Bodies Tummy & Thigh Control Lifestyle pants $99.95 | click to shop
- not just for ski holidays, thermal underwear and Nanna spencers are the smart girl’s guide on how to stay warm in style!
Target thermal underwear from $7 | click to shop
socks and tights
- layer a pair of low cut ankle socks under your opaque tights when wearing with boots or lace ups
- wear knee high socks over your tights under a pair of knee high boots
- buy a pair of boots a little bit too big so you can wear super thick warm socks underneath – perfect for sideline mamas!
- Take a further 20% off sale shoes at Planet Shoes | click to shop
- Holeproof Explorers at Coles $14 | click to shop
- add a cool hat to keep you warm
- don’t worry about hat hair by leaving it on inside
- a soft knitted beanie or wool beret is perfect for bad hair days
- Boohoo Boutique 100% wool felt fedora $12 | click to shop
- Freez All That Glitters Beret in Cream, Latte or Black $20 | click to shop
- Freez All That Glitters Beanie in Orange, Black or Grey/White $20 | click to shop
How do you stay warm in style in winter?
Wardrobe Wednesday | Join the Glam Squad
Welcome to Wardrobe Wednesday! I’m Kimba, your Glam Squad Hostess with the Mostest. Please link up a style and beauty post and let’s get this party started!
Some comment love for other Glam Squad members would be much appreciated. I have this little rule when I’m reading blogs. If I’ve read it, and I liked it, I share it! Simples! All about sharing the love.
Wardrobe Wednesday rules
- post any style-related post you like – style, beauty, what I wore, shopping tips, how to …
- please link just one blog post per person
- your post doesn’t need to be published on a Wednesday. Who doesn’t love some alliteration after all?
- I would just love it if you would share the love by commenting, pinning, sharing other linkers’ posts
- you’re very welcome to add the Wardrobe Wednesday button to your post or sidebar
- Grab the Wardrobe Wednesday button code
- Check out the Kimba Likes Wardrobe Wednesday Pinterest board
[inlinkz_linkup id=646455 mode=1]