Andrea from Fox in Flats loves a bit of a supermarket bargain when it comes to beauty products, but she reckons there are a few products that are just worth a beauty splurge – absolutely worth plonking down that extra moolah for.
I’m with her on this one. It’s not just a matter of treating yourself and telling yourself that you’re worth it. Sometimes, it actually makes better economic sense. The colour payoff and benefits from some (definitely not all!) luxury beauty products means they last longer, thereby making the cost-per-use much lower on a daily basis. It’s chic-onomics!
I’m a big fan of budget beauty products – heres’s a guest post I did for Redcliffe Style on my 5 Best Budget Beauty Products – but there are some products I just have to spend the extra money on. Have to!
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Starting from $100 for 75mL
This is what they say:
Containing more than 90% Pitera™, the much loved SK-II Facial Treatment Essence miracle water is a must-have for healthy, radiant skin. It helps maintain the skin’s natural renewal cycle to its optimum condition to allow skin nourishment. It also works to balance the skin’s pH and sebum secretion, so oily and dry areas are properly moisturised.
Benefits of the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence:
- Texture Refinement
- Firmness Power
- Wrinkle Resilience
- Radiance Enhancement
- Spots Control
This is what I say:
My skin, which tends towards dry-normal combination, is much more even and my dry patches have disappeared. I believe it has helped clear my hyper-pigmentation, and I feel that after application of this product, my skin is better able to receive moisturiser and serum products. The initial outlay is not cheap, but it lasts and lasts and lasts. You really only need a few drops per day. I would not be without it.
If it’s good enough for Cate Luminous Blanchett and Kate Glowing Bosworth, then it’s good enough for me!
Ultraceuticals Ultra Brightening Serum
$135 for 30mL
This is what they say:
This advanced brightening serum has been developed to visibly improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation: age spots, discolouration, uneven skin tone and melasma and with ongoing use will help to maintain a more even and brighter looking complexion!
The Science: How Ultra Brightening Serum works:
Ultra Brightening Serum contains a powerful blend of skin brightening agents and pigment blockers targeting pigmentation in 5 different ways:
- Artocarpus extract works by inhibiting the action of the enzyme tyrosinase with a non-competitive mode of action. Artocarpus extract contains Oxyresveratrol, which has been reported to be more powerful than hydroquinone and kojic acid in inhibiting tyrosinase in in vitro testing.
- Bearberry extract works to inhibit tyrosinase with a competitive mode of action, complementary to that of Artocarpus.
- Niacinamide acts to inhibit the transfer of melanin from melanocytes to keratinocytes.
- Melissa offi cinalis acts to inhibit production of the enzyme tyrosinase, the main enzyme within melanocyte cells responsible for the production of pigment.
- Lactic, Citric and Salicylic acids increase epidermal turnover and the shedding of pigment distributed throughout the surface layers of the skin.
Multi Action 5 in 1 skin brightener:
- Combats the appearance of hyperpigmentation like never before.
- Formulated with a unique blend of proven skin lighteners, pigment blockers and exfoliants for the ultimate luminosity and clarity.
- Contains Oxyresveratrol from Artocarpus Extract that has been found to be more effective than prescription hydroquinone in laboratory tests at decreasing the production of pigmentation.
This is what I say:
Ultraceuticals products are so potent that they are no longer sold online, except from the official Ultraceuticals website. You can still pick them up from salons and David Jones. I recommend this option so you can benefit from a personalised consultation.
I started getting hyperpigmentation in my early 20s, and it has plagued me ever since. Every time I’ve got it as under control as I could, I had hormone issues which resulted in more hyperpigmentation. I’ve used many, many products and beauty treatments over the years, including the fabulous Even Skintone Serum by Ultraceuticals, which worked wonders.
But nothing, I repeat nothing, works like Ultra Brightening Serum. My gods, this stuff is good. Liquid gold in fact.
My dark spots have improved so much that, with a little clever makeup, they are now virtually invisible. I use a few drops two or three times a week at night time. More than that is overkill.
Why these products are my beauty splurges:
Why do I choose to spend my cash on luxe products that work on clarity and brightening? I believe it is important to work on keeping fine lines and wrinkles at bay as long as we can, but nothing is more ageing than age spots and discolouration. Laugh lines add character; dark spots scream old lady!
What are your favourite luxe beauty products? What product can you not live without? Do tell!