Packing for a long weekend minibreak
Packing for a long weekend minibreak or packing for a three week overseas holiday usually involves the biggest bag I can get away with. Plus multiple pairs of shoes I don’t wear, hours of outfit planning, and a tonne of “just in case” extras stuffed in at the very last minute.
I can pack for other people like a boss. Need me to organise you the perfect capsule wardrobe? I can nail it like that! But packing for myself is a freaking nightmare. I just don’t follow my own rules!
Packing for a long weekend minibreak | outfit pods
I like to follow the rule of creating outfit pods, following my rule of two tops for every bottom; plus one jacket / cardigan for every two bottoms.
Let’s start with a casual outfit pod
- One pair of boyfriend jeans with a hi lo white T shirt and a printed tunic
- One denim skirt with a denim shirt and a striped T shirt
- One denim jacket
Teamed with a more dressy outfit pod
- One pair of dark skinnies with a black tunic dress and a lightweight knit
- One pair of leatherette leggings with a chiffon overshirt and a short dress
- One military blazer
Mixing and matching from each pod, plus layering pieces, gives you almost endless options. I stopped counting when I hit 30 outfits – and that barely scraped the surface. Just one pod gives you eight two piece outfits, let alone when you start layering pieces! In cooler weather, each “top” could be comprised of several layers.
But for myself? I start off very well and then start packing pieces for the weather I want, not the weather I may get. I pack tops that only work with one bottom and can’t mix and match. I pack things that I haven’t worn yet; they often don’t work in a different environment either.
However, when it came to packing for a long weekend minibreak to the Blue Mountains, I set myself a challenge to pack mindfully. We were travelling in my little hatchback rather than the Welshman’s big boy 4WD, so it was kind of a necessity!
Packing for a long weekend minibreak | what I packed
One bag, baby. Just one bag! I grabbed the most gorgeous Sterling & Hyde leather overnight bag from my wardrobe (it stores some of my handbag collection usually). If I was going to take just one bag, it had to be super pretty!
I packed according to my own rules. I selected only two pairs of shoes. I dressed smart for the trip – wearing slip on ballets that would double as house slippers.
Want to check out what I packed?
- Gorman raincoat WORN
- Millers burgundy anorak WORN but not pictured
- Lee Cooper wool floppy brim hat UNWORN
- Burberry cashmere scarf WORN
- Hugo Sheppard kicks WORN
- Planet Shoes ankle boots WORN
- Country Road ballet flats (travel outfit) WORN
- Rockmans dark denim skinnies (travel outfit) WORN
- Katies faded denim biker skinnies WORN
- La Sculpte exercise tights WORN
- Boom Shankar fit and flare dress (travel outfit) WORN
- Rasaleela kimono poncho WORN
- Ruby & Lilli T shirt WORN
- Gorman coatigan (travel outfit) WORN
- Taking Shape jumper WORN
- Glassons merino top WORN
- Philosophy oversize knit UNWORN
- Philosophy stripe soft cardigan WORN
- Boohoo satin bomber UNWORN
- Bonds sweatshirt bomber WORN (over my nightie for breakfast)
- Target cropped knit UNWORN
- Two Jeanswest long tops for layering WORN (just one!)
- one bra (plus the one I was wearing)
- two nighties Peter Alexander and Goodnight Society
- Marc by Marc Jacobs canvas cross body bag
I streamlined further by packing one handbag, and wearing the same sterling silver jewellery. Pandora and Honeydew & Violet bangles, art deco style earrings, and a pendant necklace.
Day 1 outfit | travel from Sydney to Blue Mountains
I wore Country Road chocolate ballet flats, Rockmans dark denim skinnies, Boom Shankar fit & flare dress and Gorman coatigan. I was comfy for a car trip, and easily able to adjust from warm Sydney to cooler Leura.
Day 2 | Scenic World & Leura Cascades
We had a sleep in and decided to skip Scenic World when we spotted the massive queues. We went for a scenic wander instead!
The Blokefolk left me for a girly wander in Katoomba, where I checked out a gorgeous gift shop, several opshops and had a slice of cake in the historic Paragon Cafe.
I was dressed for comfort and a decent walk in gifted La Sculpte exercise tights, with Hugo Sheppard kicks and FCUK sparkly socks. I layered an orange Taking Shape knit over a Jeanswest twisted neck detail long sleeve layering top. A pop of practical print clash colour with my Gorman hairbow and raincoat.
Day 2 | shopping
Later in the afternoon, I wandered through Leura Mall in comfort and style. I ditched the layering top, tights and kicks, and switched them for my Gorman coatigan, Burberry scarf, Planet Shoes Echo ankle boots, and Rockmans dark skinnies.
I love the navy and orange combination. So cheery and I don’t look like Tony Tiger!
Day 3 | Wentworth Falls
I wanted to be warm and comfortable on a cooler day, in an adaptable outfit suitable for a little walk at Wentworth Falls.
My autoimmune disease joint pain kicked in and I was unable to walk as far as I had planned. Bloody body!
I wore my new Arch & Ollie pom pom headband, purchased from Quidditas General Store in Leura, with a new season forest green Glassons merino knit. It teamed perfectly with my Marc by Marc Jacobs travel bag and Shop Kimba Likes Bron Waterfall Cardigan (hurry because my pop up shop closes at the end of April!).
Super stretchy Katies faded skinnies and my Hugo Sheppard kicks were just the ticket.
Day 4 | travel home
Just how gorgeous is the scenery?!
Psssst … just because it’s you, use code HURRYUP at checkout at Shop Kimba Likes for a whopping 25% off everything that’s left. Did I mention free shipping too?
Wardrobe Wednesday | Join the Glam Squad
Welcome to Wardrobe Wednesday! I’m Kimba, your Glam Squad Hostess with the Mostest. Please link up a style and beauty post and let’s get this party started!
Wardrobe Wednesday rules
- post any recently published style-related post you like – style, beauty, what I wore, shopping tips, how to …
- please link just one blog post per person
- don’t just post and run – that’s not cool
- say hello in the comments – I’d love to know more about you and your blog
- share the love by commenting, pinning or sharing other linkers’ posts
- you’re very welcome to add the Wardrobe Wednesday button to your post or sidebar
Liked this post and want to read more?
click here to get new posts in your inbox
Planet Shoes ankle boots and La Sculpte leggings gifted
this post contains some affiliate links
Pop Up Shop owned & operated by Kimba Likes