Summer Style File 14 day challenge
Yes, it’s that time again. It’s summer time! Not only the first day of December and the first day of December tomorrow, but also Day 1 of our Summer Style File 14 day challenge!
Sarah from She Writes and I have chosen 14 summertastic style prompts. True to our seasonal Style File form, they’re the most relaxed style prompts ever. Completely open to interpretation, for a fun experience. Can’t wait to hang out with the Summer Style File community!
Because Instagram is where it’s at, we have set up a dedicated Instagram account for our Style Filers. Check it out here!
Now, let’s check out those summery style prompts!
Summer Style File
Summer Style File | pleats please
Pleated skirts are bang on trend and I couldn’t be happier.
- you can lady them up with a pussybow blouse or kitten heels
- style it tough pretty with biker leather or a denim vest
- team your pleated skirt with a band T shirt for rock chick style
- add a tank and sandals for classic summer chic
Not keen on a pleated skirt or dress?
- pleat a scarf
- pleat is another word for plait so plait your hair. Check out Hair Romance tutorials for some easy peasy step by step guides
- wear a braided leather belt
Summer Style File | bolder shoulder
Shoulders are so hot right now. The off the shoulder look and the cold shoulder look are holding their own. This is super good news for those of us who love showing a little skin without flashing the flesh!
- wear an oversized T shirt off your shoulder for some 80s style
- rock a fitted bardot top with wide legged pants or full midi skirt
- channel boho chic with a floaty embroidered off the shoulder dress
- get your party on with a one shouldered dress
- mix it up with an elasticated off the shoulder dress by styling it with one shoulder showing, or off the shoulder or as a strapless dress. You can also style it worn on the shoulders.
- worried about your off the shoulder not staying put? Got you covered ladies – or should that be uncovered? – with this super easy trick
- another trick is to loop the hanger ribbons over your upper arms, or attach longer ribbons in the same spot.
Summer Style File | short story
Nothing says summer like a pair of shorts, right? You can find every single style of shorts in store right now. Everything from distressed denim cutoffs to tailored bermuda shorts, from super fun prints to classic stripes and everything in between.
- don’t like shorts because you don’t like your knees? Firstly, you should love yourself and rock out with your knees out.
- try a clamdigger style for a retrocute look
- Summer Style File challenge is super flexible, so short sleeves, short skirt, short hair, short nails? Whatever works for you. Go shawty!
- interested in making your own denim cutoffs? Check out my DIY
Summer Style File | maxi impact
Make an impact with one of my favourite styles, the maxi! A perennial style favourite and available in every possible fabric and print for every occasion from school run to weekend brunch to Christmas party!
- not a fan of maxi dresses? Try a maxi skirt!
- not keen on floaty maxi styles? Try a fitted tube dress or faux wrap maxi skirt in sports luxe fabric
- skirts and dresses not your thing? Join in with maxi volume with a draped sleeve or big hair or a colour pop nail look
Summer Style File | wrap star
Get your wrap on. This style prompt is truly versatile!
- wear a scarf as a wrap
- rock a faux wrap style such a dress, skirt, blouse
- wrap it up with a classic wrap dress
- nail it with printed nail wraps
Summer Style File | Team Stripes
I think Team Stripes has made almost every Style File challenge! Why? Because who doesn’t love stripes!
Summer Style File | Pom Pom and Tassel Appreciation Society
Have you noticed all the gorgeous tassels and pom poms adorning all our favourite summer styles? Oh, how I love a little frou frou! Become a member of the Pom Pom Appreciation Society and the Tassel Appreciation Society by adding a little retrocute fun to your outfit.
- add a pair of pom pom earrings
- tassels adorn everything – stretch bracelets, statement necklaces, shoes, waist ties, belts, tops, dresses, shorts, pants, skirts …
- pom pom trim is a gorgeous addition to summer pieces like kaftans, shorts, dresses, scarves, off the shoulder tops …
- DIY your own bang on trend pom pom sandals with Steele My Style’s awesome DIY guide
Summer Style File | white out
For a shade that isn’t actually a colour, white is the colour of the season. It’s white hot!
- go boho chic in embroidered off the shoulder white cotton
- summer time is made for white shoes
- for the pale skinned amongst us, skip your faux tan
- classic white linen never goes out of style. Keep it young and fresh by not ironing it, and by teaming a loose piece with a fitted piece.
- a plain white T shirt goes with everything from denim to tuxedo pants to retrocute full skirts and everything else in between
Summer Style File | leopard love
A perennial Style File favourite, and the new neutral. The leopard love is strong in this one!
- not a leopard fan? Wear another animal print. Snake skin, zebra, giraffe, ocelot …
- leopard really does go with everything. It’s super chic with white, classic with black, cute with denim, stylish with khaki.
- print clash leopard with florals and stripes
Summer Style File | playful playsuit
Still strong this summer is the playsuit – also known as the romper or onesie.
- if a playsuit isn’t your thing, rock a jumpsuit instead
- fake a playsuit with matchy matchy shorts and cami
Summer Style File | talking tee
Wear your heart on your sleeve or your slogan on your chest with a talking tee. What does your T shirt say about you? Make a statement with a style classic.
Summer Style File | chambray champion
Chambray is summer’s version of denim, and found in every style from shoes to hats and absolutely everything in between.
Summer Style File | sandal scandal
Sandals are the shoes of summer. It would be a scandal not to rock a sandal!
- rock an on trend block heel sandal or a retrocute Saltwater
- keep it classic with neutrals or make it fun with colourful sandals
- stilettos to flats, casual to glamorous, there’s a sandal for everyone.
Summer Style File | think pink
On Wednesdays, we wear pink!
- don’t have any pink clothing? Go shopping! It’s the most flattering shade.
- lolly girlie shades of pink too much for you? Luckily, nude blush pink tones are still bang on trend
- pink lipstick and pink nails are a classic combo for a reason
- pink comes in every shade from palest petal to Schiaparelli shocking to fruity watermelon and raspberry. There’s a shade of pink for everyone.
Can’t wait to see how you rock Summer Style File 14 day challenge, kicking off tomorrow!
Wardrobe Wednesday | Join the Glam Squad
Welcome to Wardrobe Wednesday! I’m Kimba, your Glam Squad Hostess with the Mostest. Please link up a style and beauty post and let’s get this party started!
Some comment love for other Glam Squad members would be much appreciated. I have this little rule when I’m reading blogs. If I’ve read it, and I liked it, I share it! Simples! All about sharing the love.
Wardrobe Wednesday rules
- post any style-related post you like – style, beauty, what I wore, shopping tips, how to …
- please link just one blog post per person
- your post doesn’t need to be published on a Wednesday. Who doesn’t love some alliteration after all?
- I would just love it if you would share the love by commenting, pinning, sharing other linkers’ posts
- you’re very welcome to add the Wardrobe Wednesday button to your post or sidebar
- Grab the Wardrobe Wednesday button code
- Check out the Kimba Likes Wardrobe Wednesday Pinterest board