Want to know how to wear bold lipstick? I’ve experimented on myself to bring you my tips. I’m good like that!
Recently, I treated myself to a new lipstick. A really bold shade classed as a dark violet. I’m sure you’ve all added something extra to your online shopping cart to qualify for free shipping before, right?
Zoeva Luxe Cream Lipstick | my thoughts
Gorgeous metal cases with a magnetised lid – the magic trick of the lid connecting to the base is fab. Creamy feel, highly pigmented and smooth without being too shiny or glossy. They left my lips feeling comfortable and not dried out. The colour is long lasting, and for $19, they’re incredibly good value.
The shade I selected is not my usual, but a new lipstick shade is as good as a holiday, or something like that anyway.
I debuted my new lippy for date night with the Welshman. It’s the best bit about school camp – mid week dinner dates without having to pay for babysitters.
Wearing a bold lip is a little bit trickier than slicking on some standard neutral pinky brown lipgloss, or even a bright orange lipgloss. We can literally do that with our eyes closed – or least without a mirror.
But it takes a little bit of prep, and some maintenance, to wear a bold lip.
I’m sharing my tips on how to wear bold lipstick. It’s not tricky, but it does take a little bit of effort. I reckon it’s worth it though!
How to wear bold lipstick
- Prep your lips first with a little gentle exfoliation. Brush them with a baby toothbrush, or use a little caster sugar in olive oil, or buy a lip exfoliating product. I use a cotton pad with micellar water to thoroughly cleanse my lips, and then gently wipe my lips with a microfibre cloth.
- Apply a layer of lip balm to your lips whilst you’re doing the rest of your skincare and makeup routine. By the time you’re ready to apply your lipstick, your lips will be smooth and plumped.
- The trick with a bold lipstick is to change the way you use lipliner. Apply an invisible lipliner to prevent feathering and colour-bleeding. I like Chantecaille Lip Contour Fill or DuWop Reverse Lip Liner. For this look, I used both. The DuWop around the edges and the Chantecaille on the lips.
- Choose a bold lip colour that suits your skin tone. If your undertone is yellow, then go for warmer tones. Pink undertones look better with cooler tones. If you don’t know which you are, if you tend to go for gold jewellery, you are warm. Look for shades with orange or gold qualities. If silver is your favourite, you’re cool. Blue toned shades are best for you. If you look fab in both, then you’re like me and your undertones are neutral. We can wear anything we like! Although, I do tend to gravitate towards blue based colours.
- Apply direct from the tube to apply the colour evenly to your lips. I define my cupid’s bow, then the fullness of the lower lip with the tube, and then use the lipbrush to fill in the rest of the lips. Use the lipbrush to work the colour into your lips for a longer lasting finish.
- If you’d like a less formal finish, then apply a coat of lipstick, blot with one layer of a tissue, then use your finger tip to smooth the colour onto your lips for a modern stained look.
- To further define the edges of your lips, then use a complementary tone of lipliner after you’ve applied the lipstick. An old MUA trick!
- Clean up any overrun with a flat concealer brush around your lips.
- For a long lasting bold lip that doesn’t transfer to your teeth, or all your face, don’t apply any lipgloss over the top. Pop your thumb into your mouth, and pull it out whilst pouting. You’ll get lipstick on your finger but it’s better than getting it everywhere!
- If you’re prone to colour-bleeding in the corner of your mouth, open your mouth wide and run your finger tip from the corner of your lips into your mouth. It won’t be apparent that you don’t have any lipstick in that tiny section and you won’t get lipstick smearing in the corners.
- Once your pout is perfect, DO NOT TOUCH! Don’t put your fingers in your mouth or touch your lips unless you want bold lipstick smudges absolutely everywhere.
- Don’t forget to take your lipstick and compact with you because maintenance is key to pulling off a bold lip look.
- Most of all, the key tip for wearing a bold lipstick is to rock that pout with confidence!
Do you like to wear a bold lipstick? Got any more tips you’d like to share with the Kimba Likes community?